Background

Find Me Here:

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fairytale by Maggie Shayne




Published May 1996
ISBN 2940011499739
682 pages
Series? No
Rating: R
BUY / Nook / Kindle



A chance to believe...

As a boy , Adam Reid stumbled into an enchanted forest - and met a magical lady who showed him his destiny. Now he is a sober and serious adult. And memories have faded of a childhood event that could not possibly have occurred...could it?

Brigit Malone is on a mission - a dangerous, larcenous quest that leads the mysterious lovely into Adam Reid's home...and heart. For sparks fly when her warm ebony gaze meets his sapphire stare - and a passionate enchantment binds them with invisible chains. But it would be insane for Adam to believe Brigit's arrival had been foretold - or that the sensuous minx is truly half-fairy - even as they travel together down an impossible path toward a dire peril only the magic of love can overcome...


Characters. In the book you start with the main characters as children. It is only for a chapter but it was enough to endear Bridgit and Adam to me. They are interesting and they don't always do the right thing so they each have a depth of their own. Bridgit is hiding from her dark and illegal past and when it finally catches up with her she meets Adam. Adam is disillusioned toward beautiful women and magic thanks to his ex-wife and abusive father. They each did what they could to protect the other and I sometimes respected their choices and others yelled at them to just stop stalling. Yet through the entire book I genuinely cared about each character. However, there is another main character than is not mentioned in the summary: Bridin. At first she was just a nuisance that I had to slosh through to get back to the Bridgit and Adam soap opera. I did not care about her because there was almost no difference from between her as a child or her as an adult. Unless you count the fact that her captor was sexually attracted to her as a character development and not the development of puberty. She bugged me and I could not bring myself to even pretend that I cared about her. And then because of her actions, emotionless attitude, and annoying serenity that every other narrator commented on by the end of the novel I really disliked her. To give you an idea of how much I disliked her, I disliked her more than I disliked any of the so-called 'villains'. I actually thought of her as the main antagonist because the ones that the author wanted us to dislike did not seem real to me.

Plot. While I liked the part of the plot that could have made this book less of a fantasy I did not really find some of the more fantasy aspects very logical. I realize that it may seem very weird to look for logic in a fantasy novel but every book needs to make sense in the context of the world that it is in. The fact that Bridin and Bridgit left when they were babies and yet Bridin remembered things that no baby could really bugged me. I think it is safe to say that any of the plot that included Bridin was the part of the plot that I did not like. So beyond Bridin and her Machiavellian schemes the plot was not complicated but very enjoyable. My favorite part was the very end because of how cute and fluffy it was. I love fluffy love scenes almost as much as I love the fast paced adventure sequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...