Background

Find Me Here:

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (6)




Booking Through Thursday is a weekly book meme about (mostly) books and reading, hosted by Booking Through Thursday.



Probably most books stand on their own. But a lot of them are part of a series. J.R.R. Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings trilogy comes immediately to mind, as well as Stephen R. Donaldson’s Gap series, Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series, and lots more.



Do you read books that are part of a series?
Yes. I love series because it lets me read more about the characters that I have come to love in the first book.

Do you collect all the books in the series before starting?
No. I have no patience to wait for an entire series to come out before starting a book. If I had waited for Harry Potter I would have had to wait for forever. I read the books as they come out or when I discover them. In face I actually prefer to start a series that has only a few books out because it makes catching up more doable.

What if the series is brand new, and the only book that’s been published so far is Book 1?
I would read the first book. I would rather read the first book and find out I don't like it than have to wait for the entire series to come out and find out then. Also I really don't have that type of patience. Another reason is because I usually only realize that it is a series after I read the first book. I don't mind having to wait for a sequel because I always have another book handy.

As subsequent books in the series are published, do you go back and re-read the preceding books?
No. The reason that I don't do this is because I have a really good memory when it comes to books. Also I have found that many authors will have convenient flashbacks to the important parts of the first book if it is important to the second one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...