Background

Find Me Here:

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand





Published January 4, 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers
ISBN 9780061996160
436 pages
Series? Yes
Rating: PG-13
BUY / Nook / Kindle



In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.






Cover. This type of cover is rather in vogue right now. You have the really pretty girl in the very awesome dress and a background that does not really tell you much unless you have already read the book. I especially loved the lettering for this book. Then there is the feather that seems to connect to the lettering. The swirls from the letters also is awesome. This is what made me pick up this book. As well as the fact that the summary sounded really cool but right now we are talking about the cover. This is an excellent example of where a pretty cover holds an amazing book and it has restored my faith in cover judging.


Plot. So awesome. I really loved what was happening throughout the book. Did I wish that Clara had been a slightly better friend throughout the book? Of course, but that seems to be a staple for most female leads: they always ditch their friends when something better comes along. Right on for the friends for saying something though. I liked the fact that her mother was not in the dark about what was going on because that always really bugs me. Yet it seems that I can never be satisfied because I really disliked the mother and I so annoyed with her that most of the time I wished that she did not know what was going on. The sequel of this book is definitely set up in the end of the book. Or at least I think it is because I don't actually know what the second book is about.


Characters. I liked Clara not only because she was the main character and I was in her head but also because I liked her personality. She was logical but at the same time was unable to not follow her heart. I really like how re relationship with her male lead develops and how it actually is given time to develop. Especially when she first becomes obsessed with Christian. It is not because she thinks that they are soul mates but because he is her purpose. Although the fact that we either did not see or she did not actually practice her angel-powers that much was annoying. Did she think that she would suddenly get good at it overnight? Practice makes perfect. Her mother. I did not like her mother. Maybe it is because of Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis but her mother seemed very fake to me. Fake and overbearing and controlling and just an all around bad person. I was so sure that she was going to end up being the bad person that I either found or made up quite a bit of evidence to support my point. I still think it could happen. My fingers are crossed.


Recommend? Yes.

2 comments:

  1. the author should have gave more information about the past and what they look like more like go into detailwith carathers. that was the authors only flaw in the book.the book was a good angel book but it is as little confusing in the middle. the book has a capitfing story but should be told alittle better. the book is great htough but should have had a bit more though in charaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinion about Unearthly. I found it very interesting and I agree with you.

      Delete

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...