Background

Find Me Here:

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Published April 28, 2009 by HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
ISBN 978061662768
357 pages
Series: Darkest Powers Series
Rating: PG-13
Source: Barnes and Noble
Challenge: None
GoodReads


If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends—a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch—and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.



This is the sequel to The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong.

Warning: If you did not like The Summoning you won't like this book. Just because you like The Otherworld series does not mean that you will like The Darkest Powers series and visa versa.

How on earth do I know this? I am a weirdo and I make a point to read all types of reviews after I read a book. I especially like to read the reviews that are on the complete opposite of the spectrum from my opinion. In this case: the 1 star reviews. It is really depressing sometimes and other times really funny.

This time around is was depressing.

This book is not plot oriented so much as character oriented. It starts where the first book left off: Chloe captured by the Edison group but only after she talked to Liz. We don't actually get that conversation. In the first few chapters we get some important information for the plot but after that the rest of the book is mostly about getting meeting up with Andrew Carson, a friend of Simon and Derek's dad, and the four characters working out their biggest issue: actually working together without all of the fighting that was in the first book.

It is not a fast-paced adventure thriller with explosions and gun fights (though there are some fights) but more of a exercise in character building. To me this book sets up for the third and final book of this series for now.

So without further ado let's get to the review.

I liked this book. I am unapologetic about it and absolutely everything else.

I like Chloe for the same reasons that I did in the first book and while at the beginning of the book I had wandered off of the Team Derek side and chose to stand beside the no pairing side I did half-way return after them being together for practically half of the book. Some new reasons that I like her is because she is not boy crazy. While she started out liking Simon she was not obsessed with him and this is backed up by her obliviousness toward the fact that Simon likes her. The fact that Chloe Saunders reminds me a lot of Chloe Sullivan of Smallville fame really goes a long way toward my liking her character.

I still don't really like Tori. I understand her a bit more than in the second book but I still don't like her. The only difference is that I now don't really, really not like her.

Simon. There is a reason that I was never on Team Simon and that was because Simon just does not seem all of the way developed to me. I know that he likes art and tries to cover his less positive emotions with cheer and jokes but I have yet to really see him without that mask and deeper into him as a real character. Sorry but I had to say that and it was a painful as I thought it would be.

Derek. The relationship between Chloe and Derek from the first book went three steps forward and then two steps back when they meet again in The Awakening. Of course in The Awakening they go about ten step forward. I don't like the yo-yo-ing of their relationship and I don't. Yet I really like how their friendship grows into a relationship instead of just popping up in the first book from left field.

Okay so there really is no reason for me to continue writing this because a this point you either already like this series and I am preaching to the choir or you stopped way up at the top because you could not even finish the first book or you just love me so much that you can't stop reading what I wrote. I am going with the last one.

I am always up for a good debate if you have a different point of view from me but be warned I will be reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...