Background

Find Me Here:

Monday, January 16, 2012

Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith


Published February 2009 by Candlewick Press
Format: Hardcover
ISBN 9780763635732
307 Pages
Series? Tantalize| #2
Rating: High School
Source: Library
Challenges: 2012
GoodReads


At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high-school theater wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight. Meanwhile, her reckless and adoring guardian angel, Zachary, demoted to human guise as the princess’s personal assistant, has his work cut out for him trying to save his girl’s soul and plan the Master’s fast-approaching Death Day gala. In alternating points of view, Miranda and Zachary navigate a cut-throat eternal aristocracy as they play out a dangerous and darkly hilarious love story for the ages.



I really liked the idea behind the book. Vampires and angel by themselves have become a bit boring and unless the book is on the same level of Unearthly than I am less likely to pick it up. This book on the other hand has both angels and vampires in the same book and because of this new premise I could not allow myself to pass up on the book.

I checked before checking out the book to see whether or not the book was apart of a series or not and I could not find anything on the book that said anything about it. Yet it was after I had read about fifty pages of the book and checked it out on GoodReads that I learned that the book is the second book of Tantalize. Luckily for me that while they are set in the same world they are about different people and do not need to be read in order.

The book switches points of view between both Miranda and Zachary but the styles of writing are very similar. Almost impossible to tell them apart similar. Yet Zachary is a very old guardian angel, the lowest that angels can be, and Miranda is a teenage girl.

For that matter Zachary does not act like an angel and when Miranda is eventually turned into a vampire she does not make a very good vampire. Zachary is described as an alcoholic in the beginning who indulges in every human vice that he can when he first loses Miranda. Miranda feels bad for the people that she kills and she is unable to even bite people unless she is overcome by blood lust after she sees a girl who looks like her friend, Lucy.

After Miranda and Zachary get separated it seems that Zachary is the only one with an actual path and his point of view actually creeps me out in so many ways. The thought of having a guardian angel freaks me out because I would hate the thought of some invisible person checking me out while I was showering.

This book had such potential for an interesting read and yet I was very disappointed by what I read. Especially the ending. It was worse than Gone With the Wind. In it Scarlett O'Hara's last line is, "Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all... tomorrow is another day."

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...