Background

Find Me Here:

Monday, May 28, 2012

Grave Mercy by Robin LeFevers


Published April 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Format: eBook
ISBN 9780547628349
564 Pages
Series? His Fair Assassin #1
Source: NetGalley
Challenges: 2012
GoodReads



Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf? 

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others. 

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


I did not finish this book. While I will admit that it started out strong the book was too repetitive for my liking and despite the fact that it is a Young Adult book it read more like an history lesson. The characters would randomly recite the politics of the world and it would go on a few pages too long for my liking. The book was well written but not really for me.

Very concise. It tells the beginning of how Ismae gets to the convent very quickly and with almost side stories. This is nice because it got to the meat of the book quickly but also bad because it was almost rushed. An example would be where the book barely mentions about her training then up and skips three years. When you get back Ismae is a puppet of the convent


Even the ridiculous logic that the nuns have almost makes sense. The logic that the "nuns" use to get the people to kill is so convoluted that while you are reading it almost makes sense. Until you pause and actually think about what they said and how wrong they are. The brainwashing that happens it very interesting to see.


Ismae gets over the idea of killing too easily for my liking. She barely even has to think over whether killing is wrong or not. I would have liked if she had had to have more than one session with the head lady when it came to convincing her that killing was the right way to go.


Don't like how they are called nuns even though technically they follow the 'old' religion. It just seemed weird. What is weirder is that fact that it is the assassin nuns premise that got me to want to read this book in the first place.


Ismae gets annoying very quickly. She is very repetitive and unlikable. I need main characters that I can either like. Or if I don't like the character I will settle for just understanding why they are the way they are. If you like the Hunger Games you may not see this as a problem because it is pretty much the same reason that I disliked Katniss. The only difference is that Ismae did not try to kill a cat, an action which I find unforgivable and a perfectly reasonable reason to give a book the ax.


Too much emphasis on how much Ismae likes to kill. After the three year time jump all Ismae talks about is how she could kill everyone that she comes in to contact with. And when she does not kill them she has a very long, long, long, unneeded, and I mention long explanation on why. I gets tedious and is a very vain after a while.


Too much politics. Let's just say that if I was a history buff I could probably tell you the exact month, day, and year that this book takes place in. Too much information that I did not need. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...