Background

Find Me Here:

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson





Published 1994 by Vintage
ISBN 978-0-6797-4447-4
190 pages
Series? No
Rating: R
BUY / Barnes and Noble / Amazon




The most beguilingly seductive novel to date from the author of The Passion and Sexing the Cherry. Winterson chronicles the consuming affair between the narrator, who is given neither name nor gender, and the beloved, a complex and confused married woman. "At once a love story and a philosophical meditation."—New York Times Book Review.




Cover. I do not like this cover. It is the angle of the body that does noting for me. The person looks more like a blob of flesh than an actual human. The only redeeming quality in my eyes is the lettering but I dislike the weird highlighting action that is going on. It just bugs me. My appreciation for this book does not get any better than this.

Plot. I was not even one chapter in when I realized that I was not the intended target for this book. The writing is almost all done in a poetic way. I am not a fan of poetry. The language is to flowery and ambiguous for my liking. I am also a huge proponent for fidelity. I don't like books or movies that have cheating as a plot point and I can't bring myself to feel bad for the cheaters even when they feel that they have a good reason. It is called breaking up or divorce. Don't go behind your partner's back.

Characters. The Narrator is not said to be either a male or a female. It is supposed to have some kind or symbolism but to me it just felt like the author trying and failing to be clever. The only characters that we really meet are either cheating on their husband/wife or in an affair with somebody's husband/wife. I can't like any of them. Especially the narrator or his main love interest Louise. The entire book is supposed to be how much the love each other and it felt more like lust, infatuation, and obsession to me. My opinion for this book is probably not the best to take because of how much I thoroughly disliked it but I hope that I can stop someone who would feel the same way about the book from reading it.

Recommend? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free blog but feel free to comment me.

Warning: If you comment me I will respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...